Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Public v. Private Debate

I found both arguments compelling. I agreed and disagreed with points on both sides of the debate. I agree that parents should be able to send their children to whatever school they wish, but on the other hand does encouraging this inhibit the quality of public schools? Currently, I believe there are issues of fragmentation and segregation in the public school system. I do not think that this is fair and that is why I ultimately sided with Chris. There are far more children and young people who need access to a quality public education than not. This does not create a homogeneous society like Nick said. As Chris argued, giving students equal opportunity does not determine their individual outcome. That is unique. I agreed with Nick until he took his argument to the extreme. At one point he seemed to insinuate that it doesn't matter if one portion of society receives a poor education because that creates competition. Of course as ugly as it may be there will always be individuals who's skills are at completely different levels. But what is unfortunate is that at this point, economic level determines the quality of education, not intelligence or determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment