Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Women's Ski Jumping

I am very frustrated that women's ski jumping has been rejected by the International Olympics Committee as a winter sport. I understand if it is a fiscal issue but as I read more it did not sound that way.

"I don't think there's any discrimination going on," says Joe Lamb, the U.S. ski team representative for the International Ski Federation's (FIS) ski jumping committee.

How can it not be a discrimination issue when there are officials saying that the sport is not appropriate for women based on medical issues?! I find this most disturbing. It does not make sense to me. It's almost as bad as saying that a woman is not capable of being president because of hormones. The IOC seemed to also make a threat to the women's ski jumping team if they keep "embarrassing" them.

I was bothered by TIME journalist Claire Suddath's last statement in her article:

"Women's ski jump will likely be included in the Olympics one day, but for now the girls remain on the sidelines. If Van's record at Whistler is surpassed this Olympics, it will be done by a man."

I felt like she reaffirmed the view of women by calling them "girls."

No comments:

Post a Comment